Venue Details: Bournemouth Pavilion
- Smetana : The Bartered Bride Overture
- Smetana : From Bohemian Woods & Fields
- Dvořák : Silent Woods
- Tchaikovsky : Marche Slave
- Dvořák : Symphony No. 9 "From The New World"
- Conductor : Benjamin Wallfisch
- Soloist: Jesper Svedberg (Cello)
- Soloist: Petroc Trelawny (Presenter)
This concert takes us from the traditional towns and villages and the beautiful nature of Bohemia into the foreign and exotic realms of the New World. Who better to open the concert than Smetana, widely regarded as the father of Czech music. The rich tradition of Bohemian folk songs that shows in all of his work equally inspired Dvořák, and even Tchaikovsky. Dvořák, probably Bohemia’s most famous offspring, travelled America for a long time, and although he stated that the music of Native American tribes influenced his writing, his most popular symphony still very much retains a Bohemian character.